Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Can I have KFC Mommy?

Okay, the past weekend we decided to go out to eat. I dread this activity. Just like other allergy mom, I don't know to a full science what is safe. Yes, chicken is considered to be protein. But, how is that chicken prepared? We live in a world where there are innovators even in the food industry. They continuously come up with ways to prepare food that is stimulative to the pallette.

Chicken is no longer prepared with Crisco like mom used to make. Some people may cook their chicken in peanut oil or other tree nut oils. Therefore, the trip to Kentucky Fried Chicken had to be a safe one. Now, I took it upon myself to ask them even though I had already gone online and obtained an allergen list from their website. This allergen list is good as of January 26, 2015. Please always refer to their website prior to going to that restaurant.

We had always eaten from there in the past but we couldn't take a chance. It's better to ask the question rather than to be sorry. Perhaps, there could have been a change at that particular location that is just not indicated on the website. So, I asked. I was surprised to discover that the manager and his staff were not aware of their allergens policy. So, it seemed I was the first parent to ever ask if they are using any tree nut products at their locations. I was advised to just not buy anything because they simply did not know. Knowledge is power and if you can help someone then do so. I told them that their website gives a breakdown of their products that they serve. Hopefully, they will review it and be prepared for when the next mom comes asking. It's quite obvious that some of the fast food chain restaurants are not making it their top priorities. So, be very aware and proactive when taking your allergy child out to eat.

It turned out that most of the foods that interested him is still on the 'okay to eat' list, with the exception of the Reese's peanut butter pie slice, the Cafe Valley Bakery chocolate chip cake, and the Cafe Valley Bakery lemon cake.

I asked him what type of oil they were using to cook the chicken. I was told Canola Oil. Bingo!! It was a go. I told them to give us the chicken! Ooh wee! He also ordered the potato wedges and his all time favorite biscuit. No symptoms. I guess the main thing I was concerned about wass whether someone came to work and had a tree nut sandwich and salad and placed it on the counters and didn't wipe it down. Yessss, I am losing it but with good reason. But, why would they ever do that when they can just devour all that yummy chicken? Hey, just keep the pies and cakes in the separate fridge section and all will be fine. Let's hope that team gets on the bandwagon with the allergy education.

Little Note; We know that it is also very important to watch out for Cholesterol and try to get fruits and vegetables into the diet. So, the trip to KFC is not an often one. It's good to know that it makes the list in so many choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment